As Tropical Storm Henri continues to strengthen in the Atlantic, below are some ways the Edison Electric Institute (EEI) recommends to prepare in case the storm causes power outages.
• Register your cell phone number with your local utility company, and make sure your contact information is current so you can receive any status or safety updates the company might put out during an emergency. Be sure to follow your electric utility company on social media for real-time updates.
• Keep your cell phones and other battery-powered devices charged and available.
• Get your emergency outage kits stocked and ready. Be sure to include masks or face coverings.
• Have a hard copy of emergency contact information available.
• Heed all evacuation warnings and know all evacuation routes. If you or anyone you know has special needs in case of evacuation, contact your local emergency management office. Find the phone number at http://www.fema.gov/.
• Read EEI’s tips to prepare for power outages.